Saturday, December 6, 2008

Luck, Dry Socks and Band Aids

After having fun with some late summer trail races(13.1 and 22 miles) and getting burnt out on the shorter stuff, I'm excited to look towards a "Longer" racing schedule for early 2009. I think I've run enough 5k and 10ks for a handful of people, so it's time for me to "Just Go Long".

Inspired by a healthy and well supported trail/ultra scene and the beautiful peaks and valleys of the Pacific Northwest, I've found 3, yes 3, 50ks that I want to take on. I say "take on" as a few of these might end up being as bloody or as painful as a UFC fight. To top it off, I want to take a legit shot at running a decent marathon as a season finale(or death march).

Never one for moderation, I'm all in, here is a my 2009 Winter/Spring Racing Schedule:

1/03 Lake Sammish 1/2 Marathon
1/10 Bridle Trails 50k
2/07 Orcas Island 50k
3/01 Honey Wagon 1/2 Marathon
3/21 CHUCKANUT 50K.(The real deal-tough course and some ultra studs will be lacing up!)
5/03 Eugene or Vancouver International Marathon(Goal 2:42)

Nicola is of course worried that I might keel over and die at one of these events, so I've gotta take it easy:) I've assured her that my preparations will be both diligent and mindful of the future(nice Jedi-ism).

Wish me luck, send dry socks and band aids!!!

No comments: